November 6, 2010

Stay Thirsty My Friends.



If you haven't seen the rest of these, click on THIS LINK to see a few more.  I was recently told that I remind people of this man, so I've decided to start sharing my view on the world.  Today, the packing of a pipe compared to raking leaves.


In my experience, and you may be able to relate, when loading a bag full of leaves, you fill it full of loosely packed leaves, and then you pack it down. (Invariably, they shrink to about 1/2 of the bag.)  Then you refill the bag to full, and then pack down again. (Once again, 1/2 of the remaining space has been taken.)  Finally, you fill the rest, but there will always be a few leaves that are loose and the wind can blow it around.


If you've ever desired a perfectly packed pipe, do the same.  The lighting requires one final piece of advice. Ignite the "sprigs" on top, draw once or twice, use a golf-tee or a tamper to extinguish the flame and compact the top layer in order to relight one more time.  Finally, while holding the tamper over the bowl, but not pressing firmly, draw the flame down into the pipe two or three times.  This should effectively give you a perfect light that can last the entire time.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

While your name does not come to mind when watching these commercials, I found your tutortial for packing a pipe very interesting.

Jay Taylor said...

Thank you. Packing a pipe is by no means a difficult task, but when done poorly, the entire endeavor is ruined.

I'm sorry my name does not conjure up images of the most interesting man in the world. Your name only conjures up images of blocks or alphabet soup. Nkem?