January 31, 2010

Quotable

I was reading a book by Yann Martel: The Life of Pi, when this quote jumped out at me:

If we do not support our artists, then we sacrifice our imagination on the alter of crude reality, and we end up believing in nothing and having worthless dreams.

What do you think of that assessment?

I recently critiqued a book for not being true to reality. My complaint was justified in my mind because the beginning and ending of this book were based in reality, but then the middle was suspended in a surrealism that I thought not fitting.

How awful I was to judge a book by such standards, when it is in fact the goal of certain literature to pull us out of this sticky and messy reality, and place us gently into the realms of imagination - dreams.

Ironically, the book I'm reading - "Life of Pi" does that very same thing. I hope you might find time to read it.

No comments: