November 22, 2012

This city, Lord, it is yours.

photo courtesy of Geof Crowl
There is no denying that right now Detroit is in a bad place.  There is destruction and devastation everywhere you look, and the people are hurting.  I have never seen a city in such pain before, and it breaks my heart.  However, on Thanksgiving Day, as I lift up the needs of Detroit before the Lord, He has reminded me of his faithfulness, and prompted me to share this with everyone, in spite of the dire circumstances:
Habakkuk 3:17-18 
Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,

though the olive crop fails
    and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
    and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
    I will be joyful in God my savior.



Knowing that it might not get any better for a long time does not change the fact that we can be thankful for so much.  In the midst of pain, we have life.  In the depths of despair, we have hope that these momentary afflictions create a backdrop for God's promise of a hope and a future.

No comments: